Everything You Should Know About Obstetrics and Gynaecology (O&G) at Thomson Hospital
Obstetrics and Gynaecology (O&G) is a medical field with high demand as it is the primary speciality for female health concerns.
You should visit an O&G specialist when you encounter the following conditions or changes:
- Problems with menstruation, e.g. excessive bleeding
- Hormonal Issues
- Vaginal infections and unpleasant smells or discharge
- Lumps or pain around your reproductive organs
And anything else that affects your female reproductive system.
What to Expect From an Obstetrician and/or Gynaecologist
Although these specialities are often used interchangeably, there is a difference between an Obstetrician (OB) and a Gynaecologist (Gynae).
An OB doctor specializes in matters of pregnancy and birth, while a Gynae specializes in other female health concerns. There are, however, doctors who specialize in both fields.
Once you schedule an appointment with one of our Obstetrics and Gynaecology specialists, the doctor will initially ask you a series of questions about your condition or symptoms.
The second step involves diagnosing your problem with special scans, tests and tools. These may involve:
- Ultrasound screenings
- Colposcopy (examination and treatment of the internal vagina walls)
- Cervical biopsy (examination of the cervix)
- Endocervical curettage (cutting/removal of abnormal growth lesions inside the cervix)
- Endometrial biopsy (examination of the uterus lining)
- Hysteroscopy (examination of the inside of the uterus/womb)
- Speculum examination (examination of the vaginal wall with a plastic or metal device)
- Expert pregnancy testing
Once your doctor diagnoses your condition, they may suggest treatment options such as pills or topical products if the issue is minor. Otherwise, in more serious conditions, your gynae may advise surgery.
If you are currently pregnant, you should visit your doctor from the first month of your pregnancy and once a month until birth. It is best to consult with a skilled expert or team of experts to better keep track of your pregnancy.
At Thomson Hospital, we offer you these services as we have experienced and qualified Obstetrics and Gynaecology Specialists to track your pregnancy. This also applies to any other gynaecological issues you may have.
Our many years of experience, professional care and multiple qualifications mean we have some of the best Obstetricians & Gynaecologists in Malaysia.